Thursday, February 10, 2011

How come one step was so much work?

So after five years in TOPS it occurs to me that I need more direct help than just my TOPS support group can provide -I know the WHAT but not the WHY -so after much soul searching I have decided I need to see a counselor.

Seems like it should have been so easy...  but my brain hurts from the hours I spent online pouring over referrals.  Let me let you in on a few things.

  1. If you are in a "barks and twigs" neighborhood -I'm not going to call you.
  2. If your website skeeves me out -yeah, I'm not going to call you.
  3. If your website "profile" sounds like you need more help than I do -nope, not going to call you.
  4. If you have so many "specialties" that you need a second page, you can't be trusted to concentrate on on helping me.
  5. If you don't have a picture on your website of YOU, I'm not going to call you.  I want to know who is going to end up hearing my innermost secrets - my internal editor started screaming, "BEWARE OF BAIT AND SWITCH."  Sorry, until someone reprograms me, the inner voice wins.
The winning player had a nice profile, but a bit of a weird picture - after consulting my personal advisors, we decided that the picture was odd because someone probably popped in and said, "Hey, we need a pic for the website" and so the good old fashioned cheerleader smile came out...

We have all been there.

The decision making process was two intense days of me going the web and scouring it looking for info -and there is alarmingly very little out there about LCSW and the like...  Lots of medical referral sites that list name and address (sadly, few pictures!) but really very little else...  I reduced and reduced the list by little bits and steps (I started with 25 -argh!).  Choices are not always a good thing.

I opted for a nice, middle of the road type -hope she is like a healthy version of me....

So, that thing fear is back.  I had to leave a message....  It was harder than I thought to call -that almighty "unknown" but  I KNOW its good for me...

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you writing. A really nice post.

    ReplyDelete