Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fear, baby!

OK, FEAR is a huge motivator for a lot of us. Fear of mice, fear of the number thirteen, fear of flying, fear of failure, fear of looking like a fool and fear of succeeding. Last one kind of threw you a bit, didn't it? Me too when it dawned on me that I fall into that last category a bit...



I think a lot of us don't take risks or make life changes because we are afraid we will succeed at what we were trying and in the long run cause a ruckus in our lives... Many of us are not comfortable with change -in any capacity.



I had a roommate in college and she wrote on our bathroom wall "NO RISK, NO REWARD". What I took from that was that everything in life had a price... It's true -good, bad -it all costs somewhere in your life... Great job -lousy hours? Home life pays... Great home life -often the job is dissatisfying... The deal is balance...


I got this great quote today:


"The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything." - Frank Sinatra


And he is Frankie -so he knows what he speaks.

Fear is a stumbling block -an impetus to us succeeding at our best work. Fear CRIPPLES. We often do nothing -because we KNOW the outcome then - nothing changes and we stay the same.


Which brings me to point number two for today....

I got this great shiver when I read this question -

"What would you do if you knew you could NOT fail?"


When I posted it on my Facebook page, I got a few interesting replies -- and the funny thing is, as I was reading them and mentally matching them to the person who replied, I was thinking -why DON'T they do it? I have some brilliant and bright and amazing friends.... And I would be rooting for them in everything they do.... The same way I hope they do for me... And they were not saying things like "cure Cancer". They were saying things like "write, dance, everything".  I would tell my friends that starting is in itself success - you are further ahead than you were before you started...  Seems simple... harder to buy for myself for some reason...

So combining the thought processes for one and two -I came up with this....

If I fail but enjoy the process, doesn't that count?

Now, here is my thought on this (you knew it was coming)....

I have a hard time walking the walk with TOPS. I have been trying for five years now to lose this infernal weight and I cannot seem to break through the last of it. Due to some amazing support in my TOPS group (LOVE those ladies!!), it came out that I am AFRAID. Lots of reasons I won't bore you with feed the fear, but its fear nevertheless... I have met fabulous people who have been supportive and motivating... and I have met people who are clueless about food addiction and what its like to be "super morbidly obese". I need to find the joy - the excitement that comes from just being alive and out there and not always waiting for the rest of the weight to come back...


I need to get back to enjoying the ride... Five years ago I was afraid to start and now I am afraid to find out why I am not at my goal weight yet. But I am still looking and still trying to get there, in my own way. To me, fear is a dark tunnel -an abyss. And my realization today, after TOPS, was that I am not in the tunnel alone -I have to reach out and find the people who are helping me get down the path I have taken. They are all there if I but ask...  And having a hand to hold on to when you enter that deep dark unknown is SO much better than doing it all alone...

That's true for all of us really. The people in your life can assist you with your goals if they are TOLD what they are -share your goal, your objectives. If people are not equipped to help you, they are probably armed to help you find the resources to do so. Do you want to write? START -someone, somewhere, knows how to do it and how to help you get started.... Put it out there -put yourself out there and you might be thrilled to have your life change...
Life is about LIVING not waiting for life to happen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment